* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup minced celery
* 3 tablespoons minced shallots
* 1 quart half-and-half cream
* 2 (12 ounce) containers fresh shucked oysters, undrained
* salt and ground black pepper to taste
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the celery and shallots until shallots are tender.
- Pour half-and-half into a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Mix in the butter, celery, and shallot mixture. Stir continuously.
- When the mixture is almost boiling, pour the oysters and their liquid into the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir continuously until the oysters curl at the ends.
- When the oysters curl the stew is finished cooking; turn off the heat and serve.
- Serve hot with crackers.
Pan Fried Oysters
*1 pint MEDIUM oysters (drained)
*1/2 cup of flour
*1/2 cup cornmeal
*1/2 tsp. salt
*1/4 tsp. pepper
*2-3 Tbls. dried, chopped parsley
*1/2 tsp. garlic powder, or 2 cloves minced garlic
*1 tsp. Lemon-Dill seasoning powder
- Mix all dry ingredients well & dredge oysters thoroughly in mixture.
- Let oysters sit on paper towels for a few minutes after dredging in flour mixture.
- Prepare frying pan with about 1 to 2 Tbls. oil (heated) to which you add 1 to 2 Tbls. margarine.
- When sizzling hot- add oysters.
- Brown lightly and turn to brown other side (gently).
- Serve immediately with fresh lemon and/or tartar sauce.